5 cups water
2 1/2 cups uncooked wheat berries
2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 (14 oz) can stewed tomatoes
4 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 lb ground beef
1 1/2 cups diced onion
Shredded cheese and chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Start browning the ground beef in a skillet and add in the onions. Stir often.
2. While meat is browning, add water, wheat, paprika, chili powder, oregano, sugar, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce to slow cooker.
3. Drain the meat of excess grease and add the onions and beef to the slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 11-12 hours or on HIGH for about 7-8 hours (or until wheat is soft and plump).
5. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and seasonings.
6. Ladle into serving bowls and top with cheese and cilantro, if desired.
Notes: Makes 8 servings, ideal for a 6 quart slow cooker. This is from the source: "This is one of those recipes that you can add or subtract ingredients. I think next time I'll add in some green pepper and maybe swap out a can of tomato sauce and add a can of diced tomatoes." Also: "you may use hard white wheat, soft white wheat, hard red wheat...often found at health food stores or in the bulk section of the grocery store".
Source: 365 days of slow cooking