2 pieces bread
Approximately 4 thick slices smoked Gouda
4-6 slices country smoked ham
1/4 apple, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1. Heat one tablespoon butter in pan on medium-low heat.
2. Add one slice of bread to the pan and top with two slices of the cheese, all of the ham and apples and then top with the additional cheese and the other slice of bread.
3. After about three or four minutes, pick the sandwich up with a spatula and melt the remaining one tablespoon of butter.
4. Flip the sandwich over to grill the other side. Check after about three or four minutes to make sure it's not over-browning.
5. Flip again and cover with a large lid until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is warm throughout, about two more minutes.
Notes: This was a tasty sandwich. I noticed the apple flavor more with my second half of the sandwich, after it had a chance to cool a bit, but I don't know if that is just a coincidence. This was our first experience with Gouda cheese, which we found at the deli counter.