corn or peanut oil
1 lb cod or 1 lb other lean fish fillet
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar
2/3 cup water
1. Cut potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch strips.
2. Heat oil (2 to 3 inches or enough to cover) in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
3. Fill basket one-fourth full with potatoes. (Be sure and put the chips in one at a time so they don't stick to each other.) Skip the next step if you're not using a basket.
4. Slowly lower basket into hot oil. (If oil bubbles excessively, raise and lower basket several times.) Use a long-handled fork to keep potatoes separated.
5. Fry potatoes 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
6. Place potatoes in single layer on cookie sheet and keep warm.
7. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
8. Cut fish filets into 2 x 1/-1/2-inch pieces. Pat dry with paper towels.
9. Mix flour and salt.
10. Mix baking soda and vinegar.
11. Stir vinegar mixture and water into flour mixture; beat until smooth.
12. Dip fish into batter, allowing excess batter to drip into bowl.
13. Fry 4 or 5 fish pieces at a time (do not use basket) about 3 minutes, turning fish once, until brown. Drain on paper towels.
14. Set oven control to broil. Broil potatoes 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp.
Notes: We don't have a deep fryer, so I believe Brittany baked our (sweet potato) fries when she made this, and followed steps 8 through 13 for the fish.