1 (3 1/2 to 4 lb )whole chicken
1 tsp. seasoning salt
4-5 whole cloves garlic, peeled
Optional: fresh herbs such as rosemary, oregano, sage, basil, or tarragon. See variations.
1. Make 3 balls of aluminum foil about 2 inches in diameter. Place them in a triangular pattern on the bottom of your slow cooker. These balls hold the chicken off the bottom of the dish so the hot air can circulate all around the chicken and so the chicken is not stewing in its own juices.
2. Slice garlic cloves lengthwise into thin slices and set aside.
3. Rinse chicken, including the cavity, and pat dry with paper towels. Make sure to remove and discard any chicken parts inside the cavity.
4. Place the chicken on a plate so it lies with the breast facing up and the legs on the plate. Loosen the sin of the entire chicken and gently separate the skin from the bird while keeping it attached around the edges. Use your hands to place the sliced garlic cloves under the skin.
5. Rub seasoning salt onto the skin of the chicken. Place chicken breast-up on the foil in the slow cooker, cover, turn heat to low, and leave it alone for 6-7 hours or until interior of chicken reaches 160 degrees F.
2-3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Spread the cilantro under the skin with the garlic from the main recipe. Add chili powder and cumin to the seasoning salt mixture. Cut one lime in half and rub both halves all over the outside of the chicken. Place lime halves inside the chicken cavity before cooking.
Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
Place rosemary under the skin of the chicken. Cut lemon in half and rub juices all over the outside of the chicken before applying the seasoning salt. Place both lemon halves inside the chicken cavity before cooking.
Notes: We had the Lemon-Rosemary variation. I probably could have added all of this as variations to the slow cooker whole chicken recipe I've already got on here. Oh, well. The picture in the cookbook is much better than mine because they left the skin on. Source: Our Best Bites cookbook; also available on the Our Best Bites website here.