Saturday, May 21, 2011
Eggs in a Basket
One egg for each slice of bread
Cooking spray or butter
This is one way to make these. There are probably other ways.
1. Warm up frying pan to medium-high heat.
2. Butter both sides of the bread.
3. Break or cut a whole in the middle of the bread. (The bigger the whole, the thinner the egg will be and the faster it will cook.)
4. Place bread in frying pan. Crack open egg and empty into "basket" in the bread. Allow time for one side of bread and egg to cook, then flip and cook other side.
5. The piece of bread that was cut out can also be toasted in the frying pan at the same time or afterwards.
Notes: It seems like whenever it was my dad's turn to make breakfast when I was growing up, this is what we had. I like to top mine with ketchup or barbecue sauce. Apparently there are lots of different names for this meal, and lots of different variations (see here for example).