1 lb. great northern beans, dry
2 lbs. chicken, cooked and chopped or shredded
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 medium onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (4 oz.) mild green chilies
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Fresh chopped cilantro, to taste
6 C. chicken broth
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Soak beans overnight. Cook beans until soft.
2. Boil chicken. Save broth to use for soup. Chop or shred chicken & set aside.
3. Saute onions in oil. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cloves, cayenne, and cilantro.
4. Add onion and spice mixture to beans; add broth and simmer.
5. Add chicken and warm chicken through.
6. Serve with sour cream, salsa, and cheese on top.
Notes: Brittany cooked the beans in a pressure cooker. The chili turned out a little thin, so she mashed up some of the beans to thicken it up.