Friday, July 3, 2009
Pizza Pot Pie
1/2-1 lb. spicy ground sausage
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
2 C. broccoli
1 1/2 C. diced mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 lbs. pizza dough
Olive oil or cooking spray
1. Brown ground sausage. Remove from heat.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, pepper, salt, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste. Add broccoli and mozzarella cheese.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. In 6 10-ounce ramekins, evenly divide tomato and meat mixture.
5. Roll out pizza dough and cut circles with a paring knife that are 1 inch wider than the ramekins. Place over ramekins and press down to seal, making sure to pull the dough over the edge of the ramekin.
6. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil (I just used cooking spray) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cut a small slit in the top of each pot pie with a paring knife.
7. Bake until the pizza crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving. Serves 6+.
Notes from B: These directions are a mixture of what I actually did and what I would change next time I make this recipe. It is based off of a recipe I saw on the Food Network a while ago. I used frozen broccoli, and it turned out kind of watery. I think I would use fresh broccoli next time. I also used tomato sauce instead of crushed tomatoes (since that is what I had) and I think that also contributed to the watery consistency. I think it would be much better with crushed tomatoes.