3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and filleted in half lengthwise
1/3 cup of flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of butter
1 (8 oz) container of sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup of sherry wine
1 small can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup whole milk
6 slices of Muenster cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Spoon flour onto shallow dish or pie plate. Coat both sides of chicken with flour; shake off excess.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. (You don’t need to cook the chicken completely because it will finish cooking in the oven.) Transfer chicken to 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
- Place butter in same skillet; let melt over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir mushrooms until golden brown. Stir in sherry; cook and stir for additional 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in soup and milk; mix well. Cook until thoroughly heated.
- Pour mushroom sauce over chicken; top each piece of chicken with one slice cheese. Fold cheese in half if it is too wide for chicken piece.
- Cover dish with foil; bake 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn oven to broil setting. Remove foil from dish; broil 1 to 2 minutes to brown the cheese. Remove from the oven; set aside to cool slightly.
- Top with parsley.
Notes: I made this for Mother's Day 2015 and am just now getting to posting the recipe. I remember really enjoying this and we need to have it again. Soon. We don't have sherry wine so I imagine I just used water instead. Also, I don't remember if I had Muenster cheese or used something different.