Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Five Spice Chicken


2 1/2 to 3 lb. chicken
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. each ground cinnamon and crushed anise seed
1/8 tsp. each nutmeg and ground cloves

Place chicken in shallow glass or baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients; pour over chicken and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Heat oven to 350. Bake, uncovered, for at least one hour. Baste once or twice during cooking. Serves 6-8.

NOTE: We didn't have any anise seed, but we decided to try this anyway, so I guess our version was Four Spice Chicken. I still really liked it. B liked it, too, but not as much as I did. I think the dominant flavor was the cloves. I am interested in trying this again with the anise seed (black licorice flavor). We got this recipe from the Second Amendment Sisters recipe book that someone gave us as a wedding gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment