Sunday, January 12, 2020

Creamy Oatmeal


Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
3 cups boiling water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup milk
Pinch of salt
Drizzle of honey
Sweetener to taste
Dried fruit

Directions
  1. Drop the pinch of salt into the boiling water. Stir the oats in, little by little. Too much at a time and you’ll get doughy lumps. When all the oats are absorbed and the mass starts to boil, lower the heat so that it’s just simmering. Cover the pot and continue cooking on lowest heat.
  2. Stir once in a while to keep the oatmeal from sticking to the bottom. Keep cooking for 20 minutes.
  3. When it’s all cooked through and mushy, add the milk, sugar or sweetener to taste, and cinnamon. Cook, always stirring and always on low heat, until all is absorbed again. This should take another 10 minutes.
  4. The oatmeal should be creamy and heavy in the spoon. Then it’s ready.
  5. Ladle into bowls and top with the dried fruit. Drizzle a little honey over it all if you like.
Notes: My daughter asked for creamy oatmeal and this is the first recipe that caught my eye. I'm sure there are many other ways to make it (I know I've just made it up my own in the past). Typically I don't care for oatmeal, but I really enjoyed this with the honey, cinnamon, and dried fruit - especially the dried mango. Enough that I am wanting to make it just like this again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment